So Apple, without a big-screen phone, risks becoming the BlackBerry of 2014 if it keeps its screens so small.
iPhone was once a great phone that offered the height of productivity in its day. But now its screen is too small, and its hostility to Android makes it too inflexible as a business device.
That’s why we believe Apple will come roaring back with a large-screen iPhone 6 launch this year.
Because otherwise, tiny iPhones will end up looking like dumbphones, or BlackBerrys, for business users.
~ Jim Edwards – BusinessInsider Tech
I believe this and unless Apple does something super interesting with the iPhone, then Android phones and even Windows Phones and Blackberrys will regain some of the market share and profits they lost to Apple’s iPhone years ago.
Mark Gurman tweeted this same headline from @SAI, but the moment I tried to copy the tweet’s link it was gone, apparently he deleted it but kept his following tweet shown below:
Microsoft is in the process of a huge push into the cloud. Almost every Windows Phone user will sign up and use some of the features. If Microsoft was to release Nokia’s still to be substantiated Android handset, I would assume that it would be tied as tightly to their online services as the Nexus handsets are tied to Google’s. That’s a win right there for Microsoft.
Windows Phone is established as the third player in the smartphone market. With some smart marketing, decision-making, and focus during 2014, Microsoft can consolidate that position and reach a 10% share in the US and world market. Windows Phone may carry on steady growth over the next few years, but most analysts are pegging the potential share in the 15%-20% range over the next four years. Without some disruption, ‘comfortably third’ is going to be Microsoft’s final destination in the market.
~ Ewan Spence Forbes.com contributor
The Pasadena Convention & Visitors Bureau, in partnership with the City of Pasadena, has unveiled its new GoPasadena Smartphone application for visitors. Visitors can download the free app at the iTunes App Store or Android Market now.
GoPasadena is a passport to all the fun, culture and urban allure that is Pasadena. Like an electronic visitors guide in an iPhone, iPod Touch or Android, GoPasadena enables visitors to plan their visit to Pasadena with the greatest of ease. It also allows them to explore the city at their own pace. Continue reading “Pasadena CVB Unveils Free Smartphone App for Visitors Using BarZ Technology”
Earlier this month we wrote about the Dell Streak missing the July 2010 release date. Today, we just learn that the Dell Streak will be available for purchase by pre-sale registrants Thursday, August 12th. General availability follows a day later. By signing up for our email notification, you will be part of an exclusive 24 hour pre-sale opportunity. You can be among the first to own a Dell Streak! You will also be given a FREE upgrade to 2nd Business Day shipping with your purchase of a Dell Streak PLUS an exclusive coupon code for a 99¢ Plantronics Bluetooth Headset with purchase of a Dell Streak.
Update: Here’s a short video from the Dell YouTube channel that provides a quick overview of what you can use Streak for:
Hardware-wise, the Dell Streak features the following:
- A sharp 5-inch capacitive multi-touch WVGA (800×480) display for a great full-screen experience watching video or browsing the web
- Fast 1GHz Snapdragon ARM-based mobile processor from Qualcomm
- 5 MP autofocus camera with dual LED flash that offers easy point & shoot capability and quick uploads to YouTube, Flickr, Facebook and more
- VGA front-facing camera enables video chat functionality down the road
- A user-removable (and replaceable) battery
- A 3.5mm headphone jack means many of you can use the Dell Streak as the music source (and more) in your car
- Integrated 3G + Wi-Fi (802.11b/g) + Bluetooth 2.1 (think headsets, external keyboards, stereo headsets, etc.)
- UMTS / GPRS / EDGE class 12 GSM radio with link speeds of HSDPA 7.2 Mbps / HSUPA
- A user-accessible Micro SD slot expandable up to 32GB. That means you can store lots of movies, music, photos or other kinds of files.
On the software side, here’s what you can expect:
- A customized multi-touch version of the Google Android operating system that features Dell user interface enhancements
- Access to over 38,000 apps (and growing) via the Android Marketplace
- Microsoft Exchange connectivity and integration through TouchDown
- Google Voice support
- Integrated Google Maps with voice-activated search, turn-by-turn navigation, street and satellite views
- Quick access to activity streams via integrated social network app widgets like Twitter, Facebook, YouTube
Interested? Click here to sign up for a Dell Streak pre-sale opportunity